I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros and Cons of Groups

The card from the Granny Jones Tarot this morning is the Hierophant:
Multiple tree trunks and a man all seem to spring from the same common root.  The man leans into one of the trunks, seeming to draw strength and joy from it.  This card is about a sense of belonging that comes from joining with others because of a common bond.  The group generally has specific goals, beliefs and ideals, and there is usually a teacher or leaders from whom one can learn.  This may be a religion, but it could also be other types, such as a group of quilters or a group involved in animal rescues.  The man holds a triquetra in his hand, symbolizing this union or connection he has with others.  I can find much joy and stability in being with other like-minded individuals, but there is one drawback.  Like the trunks in the card above, the root that keeps the group secure also prevents it from moving in other directions - deviations from expectations are not looked on favorably.

     The button chosen from the collection today is "Fawn - gentleness:"

"Gentleness can only be expected from the strong." ~ Leo Buscaglia
In my youth, I never considered patience, kindness and tolerance to be connected with strength.  But now I understand that it is much easier to lash out at another than to be quiet, calm, and compassionate.  These are inner spiritual muscles I'm working to develop, and I get a chance to "work out" every day in my daily encounters with others.  As the holidays approach, I realize that being in a group, such as a family, will test my strength in this area.  Though we have a blood bond, we often differ widely in regard to religion, politics or life philosophy.  I will try to remember that although I have a right to my opinion, I also have the right to keep it to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment