I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Wisdom of Age

The Ten of Disks (Pentacles) drawn this morning from the Tarot of the Crone is quite different that most RWS versions of this card:
A elderly woman sits in a throne-like chair, with her boney knees and shoulders protruding.  Her body has seen and experienced many things in this life, and she holds that wisdom within her.  The verse that is associated with this card says: My world may be smaller.  My soul is not.  I spent about three hours with my mother-in-law yesterday; she'll be 91 at the end of this month.  Like this woman, she can't get around like she used to, but that aging body contains a world of wisdom.  Her life occurs mostly on the inside now, but that is no less of an adventure.  She teaches me to value the lessons my body has learned through experience, as well as the wisdom it still has to teach me.

     The card pulled from the Transforming Dragons deck today is "Antalgo:"
This dragon's head is so hard it is frequently mistaken for a rock.  He'll never be accused of being flexible, spontaneous, or open-minded.  His lesson is to remind me that I don't know everything, that my perception is only a view from one point, and that being a rebel sometimes means just being obstinate.  There are older and wiser people in my life, who have already traveled the rivers I'm about to go down; if I can open my ears and listen, I might miss some of the boulders and find the paddling much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment