I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Celebrating Small Steps

The draw from the Picture Postcard Tarot this morning is the Four of Wands:
A woman rests against a stack of logs; behind her, it looks as if land has been cleared.  Perhaps she will be building a log cabin home or a barn.  She has the resources, now all she needs is to continue forward with her plan.  I'm betting she has saved and worked for this moment, and now wants to celebrate that her dream is in its first phase of becoming a reality.  This card reminds me of the importance of celebrating all the stages in working towards a goal or becoming the person I am trying to grow into.  Such positive reinforcement can keep me moving in the right direction.

     The card pulled from the Steps to Serenity deck this morning is "Pride:"

"Pride is the basic breeder of most human difficulties, the chief block to true progress."
~ 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
I remember seeing one of these beautiful birds at an animal park, looking at himself in the reflection of a car door.  He would strut, spread his feathers, then run at what he thought was another male; it made me laugh to see him go to such effort over an illusion.  There are two kinds of pride - healthy and false.  Healthy pride allows me to acknowledge my gifts, skills and accomplishments without arrogance.  False pride tries to take credit where credit is not due and always looks for outside confirmation to cover up an inner feeling of inadequacy.  It lacks humility and tries to always be better than someone else.  Today I will be grateful for the skills I have and realize that many of them came because others were kind enough to share them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment