I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Face to Face Contact

The card drawn from the Picture Postcard Tarot this morning is the Eight of Wands:
In many RWS versions of this card, there are eight staffs flying through the air, implying quick movement or something moving to a conclusion.  There is also a third interpretation, shown by this particular card: a message.  I am reminded of all the ways we can connect with each other, not just by phone, but by letter, email or social media (twitter, facebook).  And while I enjoy hearing from another person or contacting someone, the best kind of connection to me will always be the face-to-face kind.  There's a story about a little boy who wakes in the middle of the night because of an intense thunderstorm.  He runs to his mom, and she tries to console him by telling him not to be afraid because God is always with him.  The child tells her he understands but replies, "sometimes I need someone with skin!"  I heartily agree.

     The card pulled from the Steps to Serenity oracle today is "Control:"

"Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show and is forever trying to arrange the lights, the scenery, and the rest of the players in his own way."
~ AA Big Book
When I try to control or manipulate another person's behavior, I am under the illusion that I can extract happiness and satisfaction if I can manage people well.  In reality, I have no power over another human being.  Everyone has the right and the obligation to make their own choices.  I will be meeting with someone today who has almost the exact opposite opinion I do on just about every topic I can think of to talk about.  It will do no good to try and make her see things my way (just as it will do no good for her to change my ideas).  Yet I can accept her as she is without having to agree with her philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment