I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 16, 2012

Holy Hammer of Heaven

  The card chosen from the Ship of Fools Tarot this morning is one I have drawn recently (as well as a few blogging friends!), the Tower:

"He who believes that he is blessed in everything, / And who feels that luck will never leave him, / He surely will feel fate's cudgel in the end."
Not only is this fellow's house on fire, but he is about to get a knock in the head with the Holy Hammer of Heaven.  The tower represents the walls I build around my heart and mind.  These bricks can be made of religious dogma, college degrees, money in the bank, family beliefs, or just plain ignorance (if I don't see it, then its not really there).  They are meant to protect me, to keep me from experiencing pain or unhappiness.  Unfortunately, like the fool above, I become trapped in a prison of my own making. In his case, he's so convinced he's right, he won't even get out to save his own skin!  If my ideas, beliefs and dreams are set in concrete, I won't evolve beyond them without something drastic happening that can get my attention.  But the real misfortune is that I'm missing out on a lot of joy while erroneously trying to safeguard myself.  Today I will allow my heart and mind some much needed fresh air and sunshine.

       From the Wisdom of the Four Winds deck today comes one of my favorite birds, "Hawk - Vision:"
Hawk reminds me not to get bogged down in the little details and stresses of my day-to-day life.  Frustration and hopelessness will only narrow my vision.  Seeing the big picture will help me detach from the confusion and emotion that surrounds me, allowing me to see with clarity what is truly important.  It is a challenge to fly in the realms of spirit while staying grounded in this world.  May I have the ability to see with Hawk's eyes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment