I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Windshield Wipers

  The card chosen today from the Illuminated Tarot is one from the major arcana, "Judgment:"
Men, women and children rise from their graves at the sound of an trumpet being blown by an angel.  It's hard for the average person not to see this card from a christianized perspective - that of being judged for one's deeds.  For me personally, I see it as a wake-up call.  One of those moments when life suddenly becomes very clear, like turning on your windshield wipers in the middle of a downpour.  It may be that I become aware of a pattern I have been repeating, and can now make choose to do something different.  Or it may be that I suddenly become aware of how my thoughts and actions affect others, of our interconnection.  That which was hidden (or that I simply chose not to see) is now in the open offering clarity.  These insights can't help but bring about a change in my life.

     The card pulled from the Dreaming in Color deck today is "Depression:"
The lack of color in this image emphasizes the "black and white" thinking that is so common with depression.  There is no balance in the middle, leaving only apathy and a feeling of lethargy.  Added to the tarot card of Judgment above, I can see how it would be easy to arrive at this dark place.  "Look at the mess I've made with my life; I'm so stupid to have repeated the same mistake/made such a decision."  Such thinking will keep me immobile, unable to adjust my life.  Instead, I could experience a sense of freedom with these discoveries, realizing my blinders have been removed.  I have the chance to make new choices, or I can just wallow in self-pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment