I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Another Trip Around the Sun

This week I'll be using a deck created by Poppy Palin, Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot.  While Palin originally intended it to be an oracle deck, her publishers had other ideas; though marketed as tarot, it has more of an oracle structure, and thus is a nontraditional deck.  The companion book, "Stories of the Wild Spirit," has recently been republished.  Today's draw is the Dance of Life / Web of Fate (Wheel of Fortune):

Our dance stops for no man's law and is never slowed by circumstance.
Nature spirits, each holding part of a ribbon, dance around the Tree of Life.   The tree has been planted in a cauldron, a symbol of creation and transformation - the primordial soup of life.  Here in the South, the weather has been unusually warm even though this time of year is still labeled "winter."  But birds and flowers know nothing about human labels, so they are busy - buds are opening and my feathered friends are building nests.  Regardless of what goes on in man's world, nature keeps forging ahead.  I must say I had a bit of a laugh when I drew this card, as it is my birthday today.  Whether events are happy, sad, dull or irritating, the world keeps on spinning, and so I too must keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I can enjoy the good and persevere through the bad - either way, change is inevitable.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Celtic Shaman's Pack, illustrated by Chesca Potter with text by John Matthews.  The card chosen this morning is the "Hound:"
The dog has long been considered a faithful and loyal companion.  There are dozens of stories in the Celtic tradition about dogs.  King Arthur's dog, Cafall, left his paw print on a stone; legend says that if the stone was moved in the evening, it returned backed to its original place the next day.  In this world of constant change, it is a blessing to have steadfast friends to make this journey with.  So today, I offer my gratitude to all those who've helped me celebrate my good fortunes and who've given me a shoulder to lean on when life got tough.  I hope I can be the same kind of friend to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment