I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Get Moving, But Don't Stress Over It

This week I'll be using the Shining Tribe Tarot set created by Rachel Pollack.  This morning's draw was the Eight of Trees (Eight of Wands):
A house is ablaze, and several trees and shrubs have been burnt.  But a woman, with hair flying behind her, leaps and glides effortlessly over all of it.  The Tree/Wand suit is often associated with fire, indicating the energy, enthusiasm and passion behind this group of cards.  Depending on how mindful we are, fire can be useful or destructive.  In describing this card, Pollack states, "It may indicate a time when plans or structures in our lives seem to burn up around us."  I can't think of a better statement to describe what is happening with me right now; what I've relied on in the past seems to be going up in flames.  I believe this destruction will help me move on to new places and people I can learn from.  Like this lady, I will quickly leave without feeling the need to get entangled in the confusion.

     The oracle I'll be using this week was created especially for me by a dear, multi-talented friend in Australia.  She carved a wooden turtle box then filled it with tiles of animals that have a special meaning to me.  These tiles were pyroetched by hand.  The animal tile chosen today is "Otter:"
 
It seems when I am under stress of any kind, Otter never fails to show up.  Here in my neck of the woods, we have river otters.  Otter teaches me to tap into my playful side and not to take life so seriously.  He prefers to go with the flow rather than fight it.  Extremely inquisitive, he encourages me to seek for knowledge but not as a goal to achieve.  Instead, my curiosity should nourish me on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment