I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 27, 2012

Seeing with a Hawk's Vision

I seem to be on a roll as far as drawing major arcana cards lately.  Today the card drawn from the Shining Tribe was Tradition (Hierophant):
This particular card often refers to belonging to a group or knowledge gained from a spiritual path.  My first thought when I saw this image was "many paths, one mountain."  I don't think the mountain refers to a specific religion or deity, rather it implies living in a way that shows kindness and love to all.  The tools I use to get there may look completely different from what someone else uses.  But how do I know I'm moving in the right direction?  In the center of the five mounds is a set of concentric circles with a flower growing inside.  The flower represents beauty and positive growth.  If kindness, love, beauty and growth are part of my journey, I don't need to worry about how I compare to another person.

     The animal chosen today from the wooden tiles oracle is the "Hawk:"
I saw two red-tailed hawks the other day in the neighborhood; they always seem to arrive shortly after the flocks of robins come.  These hawks have incredible vision - they never think an old sock is a rat even at great distances.  The reason is that the red-tail has five times more visual sensory cells per millimeter of retina than do humans.  These birds teach me to look at the big picture rather than just my personal perspective.  Hawks remind me not to assume anything, but to make sure what I think I see is true before I take action.  There are times when Hawk's visual acuity is impaired, such as on foggy days when the light is scattered.  He'll wait patiently in a tall tree until things clear upLikewise, sometimes postponing my plans or decisions may be called for when my clarity is diminished by my emotions or other factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment