I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Unnatural Behaviors

     From the Shining Tribe Tarot this morning comes the High Priestess:
This priestess is as much at home in the waters of the unconscious as the fish and the Rainbow Serpent (of Aboriginal lore).  She rests quietly and waits patiently.  She knows that information will come of its own accord when she doesn't demand or actively seek it.  It does not come natural for me to be still and receptive.  I become edgy, and my brain wants to plan strategies and map out routes.  But the inner knowledge within me only comes when I calm my thoughts.  Meditation has helped me train my mind and body to realize that relaxation doesn't always equal sleep.  Just as silt in muddy water eventually settles when agitation ceases, clarity will come.  Answers, solutions and information will rise to the surface.

     The animal chosen from my wooden tile oracle today is the "Rabbit:"
Here in North America, where more than half the world's rabbit population resides, these mammals are often associated with spring and creativity.  It's no wonder that this animal symbolizes fertility, as its breeding season lasts 9 months, and each month it can produce up to 12 kits.  But the rabbit has other lessons to teach besides creative expression.  Because it is a prey animal, its senses are constantly alert to threats.  And though a rabbit has sharp teeth and back legs that can deliver an incredibly powerful kick, its main defense is to run, and run fast.  Unlike the rabbit, I have a wide stubborn streak in me, and will often choose to argue and fight rather than back down.  But this animal teaches me leaving may be the wiser choice.  Sometimes pride can be more of a hindrance than a help when all is said and done.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment