I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 30, 2012

An Oasis in Time

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Nine of Cups:
Somewhere behind those willows, there are some speakers blaring Cindi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."  This card is an example of pure, unadulterated pleasure.  Everyone needs uninhibited moments when we can relax, laugh until our cheeks ache, dance, sing at the top of our lungs, and not worry about the rest of the world for a few hours. These fun and games won't last forever, but they let my playful side out, allowing me to heal physically, mentally and emotionally.  Cutting loose will free my spirit from all the burdens I've forced it to needlessly carry.  

     From the Ogham Oracle comes "Apple - Quert / Ceirt:"
The translation of this ogham means "shrub," and one of its kennings is "dregs of clothing (rags)."  Laurie associates this with the clootie trees in Ireland and Scotland, where a piece of cloth is tied to a branch as an appeal for healing.  In Celtic tradition, the Otherworld of Avalon was known as the Isle of Apples and was the place King Arthur was taken to be healed.  This ogham's lesson is that sometimes there is a need to retreat, take a break from life, and heal.  Even if its just a small oasis of time, it will prevent me from forging ahead with self-destructive behavior, giving me an opportunity for the fog in my head to clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment