I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pacing Myself

From the Llewellyn Tarot, the Knight of Swords:
It's a good thing this fellow has the visor up on his helmet, because he's in a hurry and needs to be able to see where he's going.  The black cape that swirls out behind him reminds me of a dark storm cloud, and makes me wonder just who he is in a rush to meet.  The problem with speed is that it can sometimes cause mistakes and accidents.  I may speak or behave rashly before I have a chance to think things through.  Like this knight, I may feel my cause is just and my ideals true, but I'll never have a chance to discuss or consider alternative views unless I slow down.

     From the Beasts of Albion deck comes the "Bull:"
My grandsons have become enamored with bull riding, so when they come for a visit, we put on cowboy hats, watch bull riding on TV, practice with lassos (with the cat's scratching post), and let them "ride" large stuffed animals.  One of the things I've noticed on the rodeos is the riders are only allowed to stay on the bull 8 seconds.  I was under the impression this was for the safety of the cowboys, but recently learned it is to protect the bulls.  It prevents the bulls from becoming overly stressed and keeps them from having their spirit broken.  The bull teaches me to pace myself; I'm more likely to maintain my drive and enthusiasm if my gait is steady than if I pour all my energy into one burst of speed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment