I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 28, 2012

Be Good for Goodness' Sake

From the Restored Order Tarot, the Knight of Cups:
This knight is a romantic idealist; his primary goal in life is to be of service to others.  If a humanitarian cause arises, he's on top of it.  He needs to be needed.  But his horse is not white (which would indicate pure intentions) but spotted, which makes me question his motives.  Is his service to help others or to get pats on the back?  I'm not sure any human is capable of complete selflessness; as the Dalai Lama said, “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.”

     From the Oracle of Kabbalah comes the letter "Nun:"
In Aramic, Nun means "fish," which parallels the fish on the tunic of the knight above.  Rabbi Ginsburgh stated that Nun swims in the waters of the hidden world, where creatures lack self-consciousness (there are no walls or sense of separation).  The form of this letter is said to represent the humble servant.  This letter teaches me to do good for good's sake rather than out of obligation or the desire for recognition.  Nun reminds me we are all connected in this web of life, and ultimately any kindness I do for another will benefit me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment