I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 7, 2012

Bite Your Tongue

From the Mythic Tarot, the Page of Swords:
This Page is illustrated with Zephyrus, the Greek god of the West Wind.  One of the often told stories of Zephyrus deals with his jealousy of the relationship between Apollo and Hyacinthus (a young man who was a mortal).  He was so enraged to see them having fun while throwing a discus one day, that he blew it at Hyacinthus, striking him in the head and killing him.  It was a rash action that only caused more pain and is indicative of the immaturity of this court card.  I know that words can strike with the same effect as any sword, and once spoken, the bell cannot be unrung.  I may say "I'm sorry" over and over (and mean it), but it will never erase the pain I have caused.  Today's card encourages me to bite my tongue when my emotions want to unleash its fury, and wait until I am calm and able to speak with respect.

     From the Symbolon Deck, the "Inquisition:"
Poor lady...  She is obviously a free thinker who dared to speak her mind.  And from the looks of those who sit in judgment of her, she doesn't stand a chance.  There are two lessons in this image.  The first is that there are some people with whom I should keep my opinions and ideas to myself, as they will not be receptive to anything that strays outside the walls of their limited knowledge and understanding.  My views should be shared when people ask for them, not when I think they should be educated according to what I think is "right."  The second is that I need to be careful about judging others for their beliefs, especially when I would not want to be put down or made fun of for mine.  The life experiences that shape our perceptions are different for everyone, so the motto "live and let live" might be a wise one to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment