I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Impetuous Heroes and Bloodsucking Leeches

From the Mythic Tarot, the Knight of Wands:
Here is the courageous and dashing Bellerophon, who not only tamed Pegasus but killed the fire-breathing Chimaera as well.  Bellerophon's accomplishments made him arrogant - even though he wouldn't have succeeded without the help of the gods and goddesses.  He was obsessed with challenges, and since none lay before him, he decided to create his own.  Thinking he deserved to join the Immortals, Bellerophon hopped on Pegasus to find Mount Olympus.  Zeus was not pleased with this turn of events, and sent a fly to sting Pegasus on the rump.  Pegasus promptly dumped his ride to the ground and continued on without him.  Bellerophon spent the rest of his days as a lonely, crippled wanderer looking for his horse.  The lesson of this myth is that bravely meeting one's challenges is honorable, but creating chaos and drama in order to have a purpose is not.  Life has enough ordeals and obstacles without me generating more.  

     From the Symbolon Deck comes the "Vampire:"
I don't believe in vampires of the "Twilight" sort, but I do believe they exist in other forms.  I have friends that I can spend time with and when I leave, I feel full of energy and joy.  I also have some acquaintances that I try to avoid spending time with, because I end up feeling drained and out of sorts afterward.  These people use others, but not necessarily consciously.  They are information seekers; they ask questions and want opinions yet may not do anything with what they receive.  The trap is that it is nice to have someone ask for your advice, because it feels like you are being of service to others.  But they want more - they want you to fix what is broken, shore up what is sagging, and make all their dreams come true.  If a cross would keep these folks away, I'd be wearing one every day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment