I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Looking in Dark Places

This week I'll be using a new deck created by Charlene Livingstone called the Art of Life Tarot.  Today's card is Justice:
This quote is the advice given from a father to his son in the play Hamlet.  Associated with Justice, I believe it means to look objectively at myself - to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses, my assets and liabilities.  If I don't desire to deceive myself, I won't feel the need to wear masks around others either.  Of course this approach to life can make other people uncomfortable!  The painting above is a self-portrait by Van Gogh, who had no illusions about himself - he realized he suffered from mental illness.  He originally tried to be a pastor (like his father) but soon realized that was not his calling.  As an artist, Van Gogh altered or abandoned traditional painting techniques and put his emotions into each brushstroke.  His integrity and truthfulness led to beauty, even in the dark places of his life.

     The second deck I'll be using this week is the Tao Oracle by Ma Deva Padma.  Today's card is "Contemplation:"
This is a time for reflection - a time to retreat from busyness, enter the silence, and observe with detachment.  Padma encourages me to "become familiar with the landscape of yourself, recognize what your truths are."  Here is a challenge for me to plumb the depths rather than skim the surface.  Like walking through a dark forest at night, I may at first be fearful, but I'll soon find that the illumination I bring back is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment