I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Rooted in Reality

From the Spiral Tarot, the Ace of Pentacles:
This ace is illustrated by a womanly world tree, with plants, animals, and rivers all around her.  Her roots go down into the pentacle itself.  There are times, living on a limited income, when I feel a sense of lack.  There's no more going to Amazon and loading up the cart full of items just because I want to treat myself, and even my purchases for others have come nearly to a halt.  But then when I take my sunrise walks, and enjoy all the trees, birds, dragonflies, flowers - all that nature has to offer - I realize what a treasure of wonders I do have.  Even my body, with its good health, ability to move, and my senses is an amazing gift.  This card reminds me to stay rooted in reality, because when I do, I will see clearly all the riches and resources that are at my feet.  

     From the Sacred Journey Cards comes "Grace:"
Thiele, in her companion booklet, encourages us to find one of the many spiritual paths and its practices, and commit to it wholeheartedly.  Her statement made me think of a description offered by a woman in my book club.  She said to imagine that everyone and everything was on the outside of a wheel, with our "Ground of Being" in the center.  As we all move toward that center (though we are on our individual paths), we not only come closer to the center, we become closer to each other.  And what about grace?  According to Paul Tillich (a theologian I hold in high regard), it is simply acceptance:
"You are accepted, accepted by that which is greater than you, and the name of which you do not know."
I suppose if I am fully accepted by this Ground of Being, then I should return the favor (grace) to all the rest of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment