I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Still as a Stone

From the Sacred Sites Tarot, the Two of Swords:

Ryoan-ji ~ Kyoto, Japan
Ryoan-ji (Temple of the Dragon at Peace) is a Zen temple famous for its rock garden.  The garden contains 15  large rocks arranged on the surface of white pebbles in such a manner that only 14 of them can be seen at once, no matter what angle the garden is viewed from. It is said that only through awakening as a result of deep meditation can a person see the last invisible stone.  The Two of Swords card represents conflicting thoughts (often exacerbated by ones emotions) to the point where a decision cannot be reached.  As a friend is fond of saying, "When you don't know what to do, don't do anything."  When my mind becomes calm, allowing me to find my center (past all of ego's incessant blather), I will find my answer.  Until then, I will practice being as still as a stone.

     From the Mana Cards comes "Mamalahoe:"
Mamalahoe ("splintered paddle") symbolizes compassion towards oneself and others.  Self-centeredness, driven by ego, can hinder my ability to be empathetic with other people.  But the flip side of the coin is a reminder not to become entangled with the problems of those folks I care about.  Encouraging each other as we ride the ups and downs of life is a way I can be compassionate, but I must remember that everyone must find their own way; no one can walk the path for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment