I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, July 8, 2012

All That Glitters...

From the Tarot of the Masters, the Nine of Cups:
Here's the king of the manor sitting butt-naked (as we say in the South) in all his glory.  He and his family are doing their best to live up to the saying, "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die."  Now I'm all for having fun, but I do know that any kind excess is going to come back and bite me in the behind, whether it's an upset stomach or a credit card bill.  I can't help but think of the children's story The Emperor's New Clothes, where the king would rather believe a lie that made him feel "better than" rather than accept reality.  In the end though, he had no choice but to open his eyes.  So today I will enjoy myself, but I'll also keep in mind that if I overindulge, no one's going to pay the price but me.

     From the Key to the Kingdom deck comes the "Joker:"

"Will you walk into my parlor?" said the Spider to the Fly, "tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy; the way into my parlor is up a winding stair, and I have many curious things to show when you are there."  "Oh, no, no," said the little Fly; "to ask me is in vain; for who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again." ~Mary Howitt
I wish I could say that was a wise fly who listened to her gut, but unfortunately the rest of the poem tells a different story.  The spider uses charm and flattery and eventually gets his meal.  This card reminds me to watch people's behavior and trust my intuition instead of just listening to silky-smooth words.  All that glitter and bling is rarely worth what you end up paying for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment