I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Steadiness of Mind

From the Touchstone Tarot, the Six of Wands:
TST6W
Seeing the expression on this young man's face reminds me of when I was in my early twenties; I was full of confidence, headstrong, and sure that the world was just waiting for me to conquer it.  And indeed, this fellow crowned with a laurel wreath has faced his challenge and triumphed.  The stag on the pennant represents his self-assurance, but the tip of material may hint at another meaning.  It circles around with the tail pointing downward, reminding me of the wheel of life.  Enjoy and celebrate your success young man, but realize that there will be other tests and obstacles to overcome.  The goal is not to finally get everything (and everyone) permanently fixed to my liking, but to ride the ups and downs of life with equanimity.

     From the Oracle of the Grail Code comes "Temperance:"
GCTemp
If you look carefully at this woman's feet, you'll see flames of fire spreading around her.  No wonder she needs that jug of water!  Some art scholars have interpreted this painting of Temperantia by Sir Edward Burne-Jones as a woman trying to put out the flames of passion.  That interpretation reminds me of the misunderstanding some folks have of the Buddhist term "equanimity."  This word doesn't mean to live with "flat" emotions, never feeling happy or sad, appreciative or disappointed.  It means accepting situations in the moment without going into a tailspin, because I understand that everything is transient.  I don't emotionally attach my happiness to my definition of what is good (willing it to never change), nor do I fear that what is bad will last forever.  I maintain my balance no matter what is swirling about me - steadiness rather than an extreme reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment