I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Warm and Fuzzy vs. Frightening

From the Morgan-Greer Tarot, the Five of Wands:
MG5W
There's nothing quite so challenging as bringing people together with multiple opinions about how to get things done.  For a perfect example, just look at all the money and time Congress wastes trying to come to some mutual agreement.  Yet when I look at the staves in the card above, I see that they are all sprouting oak leaves, symbolizing that all these people have creative ideas to bring to the table.  While I don't need to toss out my thoughts altogether, I would do well to listen with an open mind to others too.  Our combined effort might just bring about something much better than any individual might propose.

     From the Gods and Titans Oracle comes "Anubis/Protection:"
GTGSAnubis
Anubis was the patron god of Egyptian embalmers who watched over and protected the dead.  This jackal-headed god doesn't look very warm and fuzzy.  His appearance reminds me of a story I read about a woman who visited India and saw a woman worshipping an image of Kali, with her necklace of severed heads and bloody sword.  The tourist asked why the woman would chose such a frightening image to represent the divine.  The Hindu woman replied, "If you wanted a protector, would you choose one who looked meek or one who looked powerful?"  Anubis teaches me to keep a stone face and stiff upper lip even if my heart is racing and my knees are knocking.  People might not be quite so eager to try to run over or intimidate me, as we try to reach a decision or make a plan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment