I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 17, 2012

Change by Choice or Necessity

From the Vision Quest Tarot, the Tower:
With the intense heat from the flames and the acrid smoke filling his lungs, I can only imagine the sheer terror of this horse.  He's been pushed to the edge of a cliff, and with the wildfire fast approaching, the only way of escape is to jump into the river far below.  Yet when I look at this card, it reminds me of the Fool gleefully stepping over the edge into the unknown.  Life is about change, sometimes drastically and unexpectedly so.  If I can have the trust of the Fool rather than the fear, I will adjust much more readily. 

From the Bird Cards comes the "Swan:"
Above this swan's head is a set of scales, implying that balance is an issue.  The Hindus saw the swan as a symbol of non-attachment (it's feather does not get wet in water) and of discernment.  There is a woman in my neighborhood who has worn a leg brace for years.  She had knee surgery a few months ago, but continued to wear the brace.   The doctors finally told her it would only recreate the same issue she had before if she continued to use it.  I can use "crutches" of my own that lead to unhealthy choices instead of dealing with life head on.  Then it will often require a "Tower" moment to wake me up and change my behavior or ideas.  The fear I may feel in dealing with life won't be nearly as harsh as that knock upside the head to put things back in balance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment