I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 11, 2012

From Adviser to Student

From the Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot, the Page of Coins:
A young university student is so engrossed in his book, he is oblivious to his shoe being untied and other activity around him.  I can relate to this young man; the other day I was studying a hawk high up in a pine, and nearly knocked myself out by walking into a road sign.  There are times when I can share what I've learned in a teaching role, and times I need to be the student.  Looks like I've got some serious studying ahead of me.

From the Victorian Romantic Flower Oracle comes the card "Cactus:"
The key phrase associated with this card is "prickly situation," and pairing it with the student above, I can guess what its message is for me.  I've had a somewhat mentoring type of relationship with a woman who calls me frequently for advice.  She's been in quite a tangled mess for over a year now, and I've offered suggestions as to what I would do in her case.  The other day I was quite frank with her and flatly told her what she was about to do was insane.  She responded that I didn't understand what she was going through and I didn't have any "real" knowledge about what she should do, so she wouldn't be calling anymore.  My role has moved from mentor to student in this situation.  What can I learn from it?  Mostly that people don't really want honest advice, they prefer to receive affirmation for what they want to do.  Secondly, that I need to detach with love from this woman, who clearly is going to get to her destination her way, not mine.

6 comments:

  1. haha, i love that depiction of the page of coins :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have one not holding a coin for a change! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like she's hellbent on refusing to face the truth for herself. Best let go and let the Universe step in, soulsis. You've done all you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Page of Coins showed up a couple of times for me during my fortnight with this deck. He reminds me of Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking there was something familiar about him, lol!

      Delete