I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Diversity and Zippers

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Two of Cups:
Two Siamese cats watch the sun set on the horizon; behind them two mugs hang from hooks.  The two cups are a reminder that in a true partnership, neither person is swallowed up by the other.  My husband and I have dissimilar personalities and do things very differently, but we have a commitment based on kindness and respect for each other.  We've never been much of a "What do you want to do / Whatever you want to do" sort of couple.  Yet seeing from such diverse perspectives produces a more complete vision, offers more solutions, and generates a variety of options that one individual may not stumble upon.   When we work together, we are a force to be reckoned with. 

From the Button Oracle comes "Zipper:"
"The one who cannot restrain their anger will wish undone, what their temper and irritation prompted them to do." ~ Horace
The B.F. Goodrich Co. was the first to use this new-fangled closure in 1923 on rubber boots.  They dubbed it with the name "zipper;" it would be twenty more years before the garment industry would make serious use of it.  This button reminds me that just because I have an opinion that is different from someone else doesn't mean I have to force it upon someone else.  Will the world stop spinning or life end because I don't prove to another that I'm right and they're wrong?  Sometimes the best thing I can do for the peace and goodwill of all is to keep my lips zipped.


No comments:

Post a Comment