I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 14, 2012

Standing on the Shoulders

From the Gill Tarot, the Hermit:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton
Seeing this image of the Hermit from the back made me make a connection to another major arcana card - the Star.  Is it his lantern I see in the heavens when I am in that place of exhaustion and confusion, and I suddenly find healing and guidance?  I am reminded of how something has "clicked" for me by reading or hearing the words of friends, both in the physical and internet community of which I am a part.  Just a few words have created drastic shifts in my thinking and world.  Thank you my friends for shining your lights and giving me direction and hope.  May I one day stand on your shoulders and hold the lantern for another.

From The Circle deck comes "Love:"
Yesterday I drew the Five of Cups, a card of sorrow and anguish.  That evening I watched a loved one's struggle, bearing witness to her tears and frustration.  I felt my heart ache, yet there was a subtle anger underneath that wanted to say "Pull on your big girl panties and deal with it!"  But because I love her, I kept those thoughts to myself.  Love is a verb, not an emotion.  Sometimes the action of love is not to fix what is broken for another person (often impossible anyway), but to sit patiently, bear witness, and listen.  Knowing someone will stay in the boat while I ride out the rough waves can make all the difference.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment