I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ventures and Rest Spots

This week I'll be using the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, created by Rebecca Jones.  This morning's draw is the Knight of Wands:
A vardo-type wagon heads eastward toward the rising sun.  This knight (who obviously is driving the wagon) reminds me of the old proverb, "A rolling stone gathers no moss."  His desire for adventure and challenge keep him free from too many obligations or cares.  In some respects, his life is simple - how much stuff could a person fit into that house on wheels other than the basics?  His "rolling" status also keeps him from creative stagnation.  The two posts along the road are a nod to the Two of Wands; he has chosen to walk through that "doorway," and eagerly embraced the unknown before him.  This knight reminds me that although the unfamiliar might be a little scary, it can also lead to a lot of fun.

The oracle I'll be using this week is one I've made myself from a collection of metal buttons, surprisingly called the Button Oracle.  Today's button is "Oasis:"
"Sanctuary, on a personal level, is where we perform the job of taking care of our soul."
~ Christopher Forrest McDowell
An oasis is an isolated area of vegetation in a desert, typically surrounding a spring or similar water source. Oases also provide habitat for animals and even humans if the area is big enough.  The location of oases has been of critical importance for trade and transportation routes in desert areas, as they allowed supplies of food and water to be replenished.  The oasis button encourages me to have a refuge or safe haven, a place I can go to rest and refuel not only my body but my spirit as well.  Even the Knight of Wands has to take a break every now and then.

4 comments:

  1. Metal button oracle sounds quite nifty :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or...the Vardo could be a runaway and the knight might be just out of the picture ;)
    Wonder if Nisaba has gotten anywhere with Rebecca and a reprint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard much since her initial contact with Rebecca. I would love to see a reprint and would only have one request: redo that Justice card!

      Delete