I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Warning: Emotions without Intellect Ahead

From the Gill Tarot, the Five of Cups:
The challenge of grief and sadness shows itself in the tears and sad face of this card.  But the bright red background makes me think there is some hidden anger as well.  Whether the loss is the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, or a career that's come to an abrupt halt, there is something that seethes underneath the the outward expression of anguish and sorrow.  It is the role of victim that can keep me in my deep, dark hole, making me stay in the past instead of being attentive to the present.  The heart locked away inside the stem of the glass indicates using various techniques to wall off my feelings in a vain attempt at never being vulnerable again.  And in that isolation, I'll just get more of the same instead of the encouragement and support that will be my ladder out of that hole.

From The Circle comes "Caution:"
A traffic light turns yellow, warning all oncoming vehicles to slow down and prepare to stop.  Good advice for me when I am running on emotion and the logical side of my brain has taken a sabbatical.  A crash is inevitable with someone else, because I'll react instead of acting to situations, making me behave and shoot my mouth off in ways that would be out of character for me otherwise.  Time to apply the brakes...
  

2 comments:

  1. Guilt and anger are both steps in working through grief, according to Kubler-Ross who made a lifetime study of it.

    Sharyn. Impeccably grief stricken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get stuck when I feel guilty about the anger instead of understanding it's just a part of the process...

      Delete