I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 31, 2012

What am I Walking Toward?

A member of the Aeclectic Tarot forum who keeps our "Deck of the Week" thread up and running (Elendil), encouraged us to have at go at a New Year's spread he found on Prince Lenormand's blog.  Today, I draw a card asking, "What am I walking toward?"  Tomorrow I will ask the question, "What am I leaving behind?"  For today's question, from the Daniloff Tarot comes Force/Strength:
 The "force" in this card is not the kind engendered by fear (the serpent in the arch) or by clout (the muscle man in the arch), but more akin to "The Force" of the Star Wars series.  As Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."  In other words, it is a power that is used for the good of all to bring harmony rather than division.  In the Daniloff image, a woman sits on the lion, reminding me of many images of Buddhist bodhisattvas (such as Manjusri above) shown sitting on lions or dragons.  The beasts represent taming the mind and the ego; courage, patience and compassion become more important than my selfish desires.  I am happy to have chosen this card for the first question, yet I know I'm not Alice in Wonderland - there will be no magic cookie to eat or potion to drink to "become" this way.  The only way I'll develop this virtue is to practice it when faced with people or situations that make me want to fight or flee.

From the Kuan Yin Oracle comes stick #31, "Advice from a Good Spirit:"
Your life unfolds enjoyably and comfortably.
Drink a cup of fine tea after dinner!
You are protected from sorrow and poverty.
Perhaps a good spirit will bestow her valuable advice on you!
The message of this poem reminds me that life is smoother when I relax and stop trying to do something about everything.  True, there are things may I need to do, but I'm not required to control, manipulate or react.  The second part reminds me to listen to that "still small voice" inside rather than the loud shrieking and screaming of my ego.  It is there I will find the "valuable advice" that does not seek to fight or flee.



2 comments:

  1. There is power in silence isn't there? It is hard some times to tap into it. Since getting back I find it easier to be in the silence. It has a lot "to say" sometimes.

    ReplyDelete