I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Discipline and Endurance

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Chariot:
"When a person lacks discrimination
And his mind is undisciplined, his senses
Run hither and thither like wild horses.
But they obey the rein like trained horses
When a person has discrimination
And the mind is one-pointed."
~ Katha Upanishad
Even after years of meditation, I'm still working to train my thoughts.  My head may have one idea, but my emotions will goad me in the opposite direction.  Or my senses may crave a short-term pleasure, ignoring what seems like too much work for some goal too far in the distance.  Then there are times when my mind can get lost in fantasy land, refusing to focus on the reality of the present.  I'm beginning to think I need a stronger harness...
 
From the Way of the Horse deck comes "Endurance:"
The author of the companion book asks the question, "Have you ever me someone who's filled with brilliant ideas, but never manifests anything significant?"  She later answers that these types seem to lack "endurance, the ability to hold true to a vision despite a seemingly endless array of obstacles."  Yet I think there is another part to the equation.  Years ago a woman came to my yoga class briefly who did competitive trail rides.  This is a horse riding competition that takes place in miles of forests over rough terrain, requiring rider and horse to navigate around and through several obstacles.  Riders are punished if they push their horses too hard (there are several vet checks along the way); the goal is not speed but the ability of the horse and rider to work together gracefully as they meet the challenges and finish the trail.  This woman I met looked strong enough to bend iron bars, but she came to class because she had little flexibility.  I think developing a flexible way of thinking in order to adapt to various situations is the second part of the equation; both the ability to adapt and endurance will allow me to successfully cross the finish line.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment