I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 21, 2013

Peace vs. Individual Pursuits

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Emperor:
I know I wouldn't make a good Emperor.  After one day of listening to whining and squabbling about how things should be done, I would be ready to use that scepter to put some dents in people's heads.  The Emperor is  a fearless leader, but taken to extreme, his personality could be hot-tempered and headstrong too (which is probably why the ram symbols are on the arms of his throne rather than above his crown.).  Yet his  ankh-like scepter represents life and protection, what he feels is his duty as a ruler to offer his people.  He serves by helping keep the peace, a challenge he presents to me today.

From the I Ching Pack comes "Wind over Water/Chasm - Dispersion:"
“I believe that people have a right to decide their own destiny...Along with this comes a responsibility to ensure that individual actions, in the pursuit of a personal destiny, do not threaten the well-being of others while the 'pursuit' is in progress.” ~ Frank Zappa
When I look at this image of the neglected, run-down house, I wonder what caused it to be abandoned.  Was is due to an "I want what I want when I want it - the hell with you" attitude?  This hexagram reminds me of the importance of selflessness instead of always making my wants a priority.  I must seek the greater good, what will benefit everyone rather than just myself.  My own well-being cannot be separated from that of other people.

2 comments:

  1. Frank Zappa...who knew he would be quotable? RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everyone one says something worth listening to every now and then... :D

      Delete