I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Revelations

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Ten of Swords:
Truth pierces me.
I will never see the world the same.
Lorenzi-Prince uses the keyword "revelation" for this card, a new slant on the interpretation.  My revelations have been of two types.  With the first type, I believed something just because someone I respected told me to believe it.  But eventually my experience did not match what I was led to believe, so I embraced real life instead.  The second was more sudden, when an idea or opinion I treasured was proved to be false or misleading.  It is like living in a house with no windows or doors, and unexpectedly one appears and is opened.  I see the truth, and though understanding it might be uncomfortable, I can never close that door or window again because now I know.  I've always felt a bit in limbo after one of these revelations, as if the foundation I was standing on crumbled abruptly.  But if I can explore the new idea instead of attempting to run from it, I will find a more grounded reality that offers freedom.
 
From the Transforming Dragons deck comes "Xuxutaco:"
  Trap: Irresponsible Consumption and Collection
Treasure: Accountability and Sustainability
Xuxutaco is a dragon whose goal is to accumulate and spend recklessly.  Now I do have my moments of overspending, but they are rare; I tend to live a very simple life.  So I was puzzled with this card, until I realized a person can accumulate more than just material things.  What about gossip?  Or what if I keep a scorecard of every "bad" thing someone ever said or did to me?  These type of thoughts can create a sickness just as unhealthy as the habits of a person who spends or squanders resources indiscriminately.  Perhaps there is a new type of diet I need to think about...

6 comments:

  1. Crone always made me uncomfortable so have never owned it.
    The little dragons are cute and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crone can definitely poke my sore spots. I thought the Dragons deck would prove to be wasted money, but they have been thought provoking. :)

      Delete
  2. I have Tarot of the Crone but have never used it as I feel a little intimidated by it. Some day. I do like what you had to say about the Ten of Swords. It often shows up for me as "learning the hard way".

    I have never seen the Transforming Dragons deck, it certainly looks interesting, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would use the Crone deck if I didn't have the book (or PDF, which is free) that goes along with it. It is her views on the cards that bring a more fleshed-out meaning for me, like seeing a new side of things. Sometimes its helpful if I can see outside the RWS box. :)
      The Dragons deck is a good one if you can get past the naively drawn art.
      Thanks for dropping by Carol!

      Delete
  3. I like revelation as a keyword for 10 of swords. to me its also a reminder that, even the worst moments/events have their good points, if only the things you learn/take away from them.

    ReplyDelete