I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 15, 2013

Freed Prisoner

From the Radiant Rider-Waite, Judgment:
I rarely need an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning, mostly because I wake up every few hours anyway.  But these blue bodies are getting a different kind of wake up call, one that has brought them out of a deep freeze.  Judgment represents those "aha" moments when I trace a firmly held belief back to its invalid source or understand the root of a detrimental behavior.  It's like I've become the freed prisoner of Plato's Cave, and I see reality for what it is rather than my misinterpretation of it.  However the biggest challenge is not in finally seeing the truth but acting on it.

From the Archetype Cards, the "Prostitute:"
No, I haven't secretly taken a part-time job.  Myss uses the Prostitute archetype to indicate I may be compromising my integrity in some way.  Fear can cause me to "sell" my soul to who or whatever I think will bring me the security I seek.  And though this solution might work for a brief time, the consequences can be disastrous down the road.  Putting up my self-respect, morals and ethics for an ante will not bring me the return I'm looking for, it will only create a dark pit that will be hard to escape.



4 comments:

  1. "when I trace a firmly held belief back to its invalid source"
    And I feel so grown up when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just really dislike the notion of this card that a prostitute sell her body (and soul) just to wallow in some kind of luxury, when we know that women are forced into this slavery in order to survive. I just don't like that image, the meaning is clear though, i just wish they didn't use that picture to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% that a better image could have been used. But in Myss' defense, she does (in her booklet) point out there are times when we cross our own ethical/moral lines because it is the only way we can survive. For instance, someone who doesn't believe in killing, but kills to defend his family from attack.

      Delete