I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Righting Wrongs

From the Radiant Rider-Waite, the Page of Cups:
This young fellow looks like he is listening to the fish that has appeared in his cup.  Most people interpret his scaly friend as one's intuition offering guidance.  In my earlier years, I lived as if I was in a car with no brake - just a wide gas pedal.  When an intense emotion came up, I reacted to it immediately without pausing to think about why I had this feeling or the consequences of acting on it.  The Page of Cups reminds me that I need to use the brake and examine my emotions before reacting.  Often what I'm responding to has more to do with me than the person or situation outside myself.

From the Archetype Cards, the "Avenger:"
With his black mask and map cape, this guy looks like a new member of the Justice League.  His desire is to right wrongs, but in his efforts to stamp out injustice is the temptation to resort to violence to do so.  I can relate to his need.  We live next to a public ballpark that has grown from a small neighborhood affair to a city-wide one.  During ball season, the patrons park all over the place, blocking driveways, mailboxes, etc.  We had the city put up "No Parking" signs in the alley to keep folks from blocking driveways and allow us access to our homes, but already people are parking there anyway.  The mega-church nearby bought land behind the park to make a big parking lot and told the ballpark they could use it too on game days.  But that would mean the patrons would have to walk a few yards instead of a few feet.  The Avenger in me has often thought of burying boards with nails along the sides of the alley in retaliation (to "teach them a lesson"), but deep down I know I'm more likely to hurt a school kid walking home or a pet out for a stroll.  So instead I wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper, explaining that the no parking rule was for safety reasons rather than to inconvenience them.  A line of cars creates a visual barrier; when a child runs out into the alley, it is impossible to see them.  I'll be curious to see if the letter gets printed and has any effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment