I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Emotional Limbo

This week the tarot deck I'll be using is the Wild Unknown, created and self-published by Kim Krans.  Today's draw is the Five of Cups:
The body language of this horse gives me a sense of submissiveness and/or exhaustion.  The number five indicates an attempt to cope with some sort of struggle or crisis.  The disruption causes a feeling of uncertainty and confusion, as if being placed in a type of emotional limbo.  It reminds me of the search and rescue dogs that were employed on 9/11.  Some of these canines showed signs of depression because the only bodies they found were no longer alive.  The trainers had to convince other rescue workers to hide in the rubble, allowing the dogs to find them to keep up their spirits.  This card reminds me to look for small wonders and blessings when I am feeling down and out; they are there if I'll lift up my head to see them.

The oracle I'll be using this week is based on a simplified form of geomancy using sticks.  The sticks have been painted with one stripe on one side and two on the other; the four sticks are then "rolled" to create a geomancy figure.  Today's roll is "Albus:"
Albus literally means "white," and symbolizes peace, wisdom, purity and clarity.  It is associated with the planet Mercury, and thus with the mythological messenger.  Mental processes, oral and written communication, and making connections are a part of this figure.  In tying this in with the card above, there is a gentle warning to wait until my mind is clear before I make any major decisions or attempt to have a "sit down" with anyone.  My expectations and perceptions may not match up to reality right now, so for a while I need to work on clearing the clouds out of my head instead of getting my message across.

5 comments:

  1. I am so making those sticks! And the Wild Unknown was a deck I almost bought but decided to go for a Limited edition TdM instead. Are you gonna colour it in? What struck me that even though the cups are just lines, they have a certain heavy-ness to them here. And your story on the dogs just made me cry a little... (i must be extra sensitive today, major snowstorm here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if I can make them (the sticks), it would be a piece of cake for anyone else! :) You are right about the heaviness of the cups; now that I look at the image again, it almost seems like they are pressing down on the horse's neck. I don't have any plans to color the deck, mostly because it is still new and unfamiliar to me. Stay warm and snuggled safe against the storm!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it is safe to come out again. What is your opinion of last weeks deck now? Keeper? I still have the druidsticks your daughter made me, much appreciated. S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all clear. :) I have to say as much as I wanted to hate the Mary-El, it did turn out to be very readable (cards only, not the book). I still think some of the cards are beautiful and some repulsive, but perhaps that is something I can use to peel back layers in me, to see why some cards make me feel uncomfortable (other than obvious reasons, lol). So for now, I will hang on to it.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete