I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Omissions and Oversights

From the Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Eight of Earth (Pentacles):
The card chosen today reminded me of the piracy problem off the coast of Somalia.  These pirates have been a thorn in the side of international ships from around the world.  America's response has been to attempt to smash them with the biggest hammer available.  And while studies have shown that some of these pirates are in it for financial gain, the majority of others have done it out of desperation.  Foreign vessels have dumped toxic wastes in the waters here, effectively destroying the way Somalian fisherman earn a living.  The pirates themselves prefer to be called badaadinta badah or "saviors of the sea."  In the deck's companion book, Palin suggests this card indicates I've been "ambushed by my own stupid omissions," making me "a hostage to my own foolish oversights."  Truly an admonition to see all sides of a situation and listen to all sides of a story before making an assumption.

From the Fairy Ring Oracle comes the "Elder Queen:"
This fairy spirit inhabits the elder tree; as long as the tree was shown respect, the fairy would protect those who looked after it.  It was a relationship built on trust and admiration, much like the friendships I have in my life.  Though many of my friends hold different political or philosophical ideas than I do, our respect for each other keeps our relationship solid.  These are the people who can show me my blind spots and offer suggestions that will help me, if I will listen to them.  Their only motive is in helping me, and I would do well to remember that when my ego wants to brush off what they are trying to tell me.



No comments:

Post a Comment