I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sacred Duties

From the Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Six of Air (Six of Wands):
Palin subtitled this card "Dawn Chorus," and it instantly brought to mind the sounds and scenes of a spring morning here in my neck of the woods.  We had storms roll through last night, but at first light I could hear the sound of the southern toads at the pond nearby, whose mating call sounds more a whirring chirp than a croak.  At the bird feeder, a male cardinal was feeding seeds to his mate, and the squirrels were shoring up their drays (nests) with sycamore leaves and pine boughs after the hard rain.  All around there was evidence of the continuance of life, and it made me reflect on the many unknown people who work under the radar and avoid front page headlines to do the same - peacemakers, environmentalists, educators, and wellness advocates.  My small actions seem like a tiny drop in the big scheme of things, but together with the drops of others, we can create a bucketful.

From the Fairy Ring Oracle this morning comes the "Spriggan:"
These slender fairies with big heads can puff themselves up until they are the size of giants, looking quite intimidating.  Their job is to watch over and protect sacred sites and hidden treasures from those who might harm or plunder them.  This card asks me where my treasure lies and what I consider sacred.  Once answered, it is my duty to protect them as best I can; even one small person who takes a stand is better than one hundred who turn away.



4 comments:

  1. this oracle hits me just like the bohemian gothic. Couldn't use it without laughing.
    Love your readings, but then they are always thoughtful and thought provoking.
    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can entertain you this week with its images then, lol. It's been a while since I used either one of these decks, and they have been more of a challenge than some others I would have thought would be harder to use.

      Delete
  2. lovely description of your morning there.

    also, those fairies totally look like aliens to me :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonkers. Yes, the Fairy Ring Oracle includes some VERY bizarre looking fairies!

      Delete