I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Woven Threads

From the Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Dance of Life (Wheel of Fortune):
A ribbon winds among the top branches of a tree and down to its trunk as fairies each hold a part of it.  The red ribbon is the life we are all given, and its winding path among the upper and lower branches represents the gifts and hardships we meet along the way.  But here's the thing - some of us lightly grasp the ribbon and move with it, while others have it knotted around their wrists as it drags them along fussing and fuming.  This card brings to mind the 12 Step principle of acceptance; here's a quote from the AA textbook I would do well to remember today:
"unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy....  For me, serenity began when I learned to distinguish between those things that I could change and those I could not. When I admitted that there were people, places, things, and situations over which I was totally powerless, those things began to lose their power over me. I learned that everyone has the right to make their own mistakes, and learn from them, without my interference, judgment, or assistance!"

From the Fairy Ring Oracle comes the fairy "Habetrot:"
Habetrot is a Lowland Scots fairy known as a patroness of spinning.  Hand spinning involves taking fiber or fleece and twisting it to form thread or yarn.  In other words, a raw resource is processed to form something usable.  In adding this card to the one above, I see the encouragement to use what I have - wherever I find myself - to create what I can rather than grumping about what I don't have.  I know from past experience that even simple things can become magical when viewed through the eyes of gratitude.   

2 comments: