I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Benevolence before Vengeance

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Ten of Swords:
A Fool raises his sword, preparing to take off a man's head.  Eight other men with swords watch, seemingly more curious than angry.  This image takes me back to my younger years when it seemed like any slight could provoke me to rage.  Humor at my expense, wounded pride or a trust violated could result in me venting my frustrations with my fists (or whatever weapon might be handy).  There was no pause where I asked myself, "Is making such a big deal over this slight really that important?  I felt retribution was my right, a chance to wield the sword of justice.  My over-the-top reactions inevitably landed me in the same position as the man on the ground.  I am thankful today I tend to favor less extreme options, like not taking things so personally and making a charitable assumption about another.  Benevolence rather than vengeance is my goal.

From the Wisdom of the Four Winds comes the Keeper of the South, "Kea:"
The kea is a large parrot found in the forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand.  Mostly olive-green, the wings underneath are a bright, red-orange color.  With an insatiable curiosity and an urge to explore, the kea is known as "the clown of the mountains."  These birds will investigate cars, backpacks, or other unguarded belongings and will fly off with whatever treasure it finds (once snagging a Scottish visitor's passport).  Kea teaches both humor and playfulness, and reminds me that sometimes its okay not to be so serious. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing about the prybar under the pig from yesterday, I didn't remember that card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a great deck (that I never would have stumbled upon if not for your blog). It never fails to make me see out of the box and gain a new understanding of each card.

      Delete