I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, June 21, 2013

Clans and Courage

From the Llewellyn Tarot, the Ten of Pentacles:
What a lovely, peaceful picture of an extended family Ferguson has painted. It's easy to see from the home, clothes, and apple symbolism that they are fortunate in the areas of health and wealth associated with this suit. But I do find it interesting that the banner over the doorway has only nine pentacles; the tenth lies on the table next to the child and young woman. Its placement brings to mind how important a sense of belonging can be, regardless if it is found in a clan, tribe, family, club or group of friends. No matter how much I enjoy the blessings I have, real fulfillment comes when I have someone to share them with.  

From the Beasts of Albion deck comes the "Lion:"
 
According to http://www.internationalheraldry.com/, the lion is the beast most often used in heraldry. No surprise there, since most people would like to be associated with the strength and courage of the lion. As I was thinking about this card, it dawned on me that the Sutherland Clan (of my ancestral line) uses a Scottish wildcat in its crest with the motto "No Fear." These two cats, both with messages about being courageous and strong, remind me that the relationships I treasure are worth nurturing and protecting to keep them going. Love can replace my fear of commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment