I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, June 10, 2013

The Imperfections of Love

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Ace of Cups:
Jackson uses the phrase "house of the heart" to describe this card. For me, the three drops of water above the cup represent love, joy and forgiveness. But wait a minute...  is that a sheet of Saran Wrap over the top of the cup? The red roses around the goblet remind me that all beauty has its thorns; there is no such thing as perfection. If I want those drops to penetrate the barrier, there are a few things I must remember: I can love without liking every detail about a person. I can relish the joy and pleasure I find without needing it to last forever. And I can forgive without excusing someone's behavior.  

The roll of the dice for a Sabian Symbol produced "Scorpio 27:"
A military band marches noisily through the city streets.
One of the quotes Hill gives with this symbol is one from Leonard Cohen: "Love is not a victory march."  How has love become such a competition in our society?  There seems to be some weird sort of status associated with people who are married or who are in a serious relationship with someone.  And Facebook is all about how many people have "friended" you or given a thumbs up to something you've posted.  Love is not a sport, it's a gift freely given and received.

No comments:

Post a Comment