I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, June 13, 2013

What are You Industrious About?

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Devil:
I like Jackson's rendering of the Devil, because it mirrors the Hierophant in so many ways. But in this card, the grapes and inverted star tell me it is all about the quest for pleasure, power, and arrogant knowledge. Why are there so many people who blindly follow another, even when it means they give up their intellectual freedom? They are obviously looking for a quick fix - something to make them feel better or boost their self-esteem. It is ironic that they mistakenly believe they've gained some sort of power or truth, when actually they've turned over the responsibility to think and act for themselves.

The roll of the dice produced the Sabian Symbol "Virgo 30:"
Having an urgent task to complete, a man doesn't look to any distractions.
I can relate to the quote Hill includes in her book by Henry David Thoreau, "It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you industrious about?" Last night I spent at least 2 hours staring at the computer and surfing the web. There was no one more focused than I was, yet I have nothing to show for my efforts. This symbol encourages me to be mindful of what I choose to spend my time doing, and question whether there is any benefit from it. Sometimes all my busyness is merely a distraction because I'm bored or putting off what needs to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment