I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ahoy Matey!

From the Legacy of the Divine, the Three of Wands:
I couldn't help but think of the phrase "when my ship comes in" as I studied this image. Me being me, I had to go look up how it originated. In areas along the coast where families made their money from the sea, mothers and wives often had to run a tab with tradesmen for food, clothing or other supplies. When their husbands or sons returned and were paid, these women could pay off the credit they had been given (their ship - the one the family member was on - had literally come in). The Three of Wands is generally a positive card, showing the first results of a choice made and actions taken. But just as the ladies had to follow through on paying their bills, it also indicates a need to follow through with my commitments and obligations.

From the Steps to Serenity deck comes "Dependence:"
"My basic flaw had always been dependence on people or circumstances to supply me with prestige, security, and confidence." ~ How Bill Sees It
Mistletoe is a parasitic plant with a modified root that can attach itself to the tissue of tree branches. It can then absorb water and nutrients from the host plant; without the tree to support it, it will die. If I am constantly depending on outside sources to experience fulfillment, I will ultimately be disappointed. People, places and things are constantly changing in the world - nothing is permanent.  Even if my "ship comes in," it will ultimately have to return to sea. What I grow my roots in needs to be something stable and unchanging, if I want to have the joy that comes through equanimity.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great posts this week, your own oracle is marvelous. I only made it three days with Ciro's deck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Legacy is the only deck I have now of Ciro's; using the other two on here for a week quickly made me decide to send them on.
    Thanks for the comment about my oracle - it has been very useful to me!

    ReplyDelete