I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, July 21, 2013

To-Do List: Choose Gratitude

From the Gaian Tarot, the Six of Fire (Wands):
"Celebration is an active state, an act of expressing reverence or appreciation."
~ Abraham Joshua Heschel
Today's card brought to mind the email I sent to a few folks when I received the news that my biopsy showed no abnormalities. The tail end of the message said I would be dancing around the neighborhood if anyone needed to reach me, and indeed that was how I felt. When I got the nurse's call, there was an overwhelming feeling of appreciation and reverence for life. I was finally able to take a deep breath without my chest tightening, and my shoulders relaxed and dropped from earlobe level. As the t-shirt logo says, "Life is Good."

From the Goddess Oracle comes "Blodeuwedd:"
betray: to be false or disloyal to
This Welsh goddess married the Sun god, but then found another lover who helped her kill her husband. Only they didn't actually succeed, and she got turned into an owl for her offense. I struggled with the keyword for this card, because I couldn't think of anyone who had deceived me or that I had betrayed. But thinking in terms of the Six of Wands above, a light bulb clicked on. Last night I woke from sleep and immediately started worrying about another situation in my life. How could I go from that feeling of euphoria I experienced earlier to saddling myself with anxiety about something I had no control over? I was being disloyal in a sense to myself. I suppose at the top of my to-do list I need the reminder that life is worthy of my gratitude, and I can show it by what I choose to focus on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment