I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Check those Expectations at the Door

From the Deck of the Bastard, the Five of Pentacles:
Though some might (rightly) interpret this card as health or financial struggles, I knew almost immediately it showed up because of a comment I made to a friend yesterday. Now that her children are older, she's decided to go back to work not necessarily to make money, but to do something she loves to do. I told her that I'm ready to do the same, except I feel stymied by certain obligations and circumstances that need my attention now. The situation has made me feel trapped, unable to participate in life in ways that I would like. The more I brood over it, the more I feel like these people - on the outside of it all.

From the Marseille Oracle comes "Confirmation:"
"letting go of what we think we must have to be happy is the same as letting go of our unhappiness." ― Guy Finley
The meaning of this card is to confirm the ones around it. As I look at the tattered clothes of the people struggling in the cold above and compare that with the finely dressed man having a drink, the cards seem to be completely opposite. But then it dawned on me: I can focus on what isn't how I'd like it to be and be miserable, or I can look at all the blessings I do have and be grateful. Either way, I'll find confirmation for what I choose to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment