I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Microwaved Emotions

From the Rohrig Tarot, the Devil:
The Devil isn't all bad; in his positive aspect, he can remind me that everyone needs a little fun in their life. The problem comes when the "fun" I choose doesn't help lighten my load but adds to it. The negative side of the Devil can manipulate people through their desires and emotions. For instance, I decide to loosen up at a party by having a few glasses of wine, but I end up having a few bottles instead and acting like an ass. Or I am lonely and go to a bar for companionship, but end up sleeping with some guy I met, who in the light of the day is only a selfish jerk. Instead of feeling better in these cases, I just feel worse. The Devil convinces me that I can microwave my emotions through some behavior and instantly change them into something pleasurable. But usually this type of quick fix ends up burning the roof of my mouth instead of making me feel full and satisfied.

From the Master Tarot comes the "Mustard Seed:"
The Mustard Seed is a reminder that even something tiny can grow into something big. A dream with effort behind it can become a reality. But there are other little, persistent thoughts that can grow in size as well. Thoughts that can cause me to make impulsive choices with results that I'll regret later. This card encourages me to be careful of the thoughts and ideas I allow to take root in my mind.

2 comments:

  1. The Rohrig is a deck I've not been inclined to get.
    I've enjoyed your take this week, but I'm still not inclined :)

    ReplyDelete