I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 31, 2013

There Once Was a Lone Wolf and an Owl...

This week I'll be using the Druidcraft Tarot, created by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm, illustrated by Will Worthington and published by St. Martin's Press. Today's draw is the Hermit:
The setting sun and the rising crescent moon in this image made me think of the Celtic term "thin places." Most people assume this term refers to some relaxing mountain top or lakeside view, but I think there's much more to it. The mix of the seen and unseen in thin places results in a discombobulating effect, like being tossed into deep water and briefly not knowing which way is up. Such an experience can shake us out of old mindsets and habits to make space for new perspectives and attitudes. As New York Times reporter Eric Weiner wrote, "Thin places relax us, yes, but they also transform us — or, more accurately, unmask us." The Hermit's wolf companion brought to mind the phrase "lone wolf," an indication that solitude will be necessary for such a shift to occur. Distractions (no matter how pleasant) and duties need to be temporarily set aside if I want to find the wisdom shining from that lantern.

The other two decks I'll be using this week - the Druid Plant Oracle and the Druid Animal Oracle - were also created by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm and illustrated by Will Worthington. They are published by Connections. The oracle card draw this morning is the "Owl:"
It's interesting that both of my daily cards are set in the evening with a moon shining in each one. The owl represents wisdom, and with the night setting of these cards, it tells me there is something internal rather than external I need to pay attention to. It will remain hidden until I seek it out. The owl eats it food "whole" without chewing since it has no teeth. As a result, it creates a pellet made from indigestible matter such as fur and bone that must be regurgitated. Owl's message is to find and rid myself of thoughts and beliefs that are not beneficial for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment