I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Balance and Benevolence

From the Sacred Sites Tarot, the Ten of Pentacles:
This card represents the mythical city of Cibola, a province known as the "Seven Cities of Gold." The Spaniards heard of a place overflowing with riches (in what is New Mexico today), so they organized a large military expedition to find and take possession of it. Obviously it didn't matter that this was the home of the Zuni people. When the Spaniards arrived, they discovered no gold or other treasures, only seven modest pueblos. If I were to write an Aesop-type fable about this place, I would say the wonderful city became ordinary to those whose hearts filled with greed. But perhaps to the Zuni people, their homes were full of riches - just not the kind the Spaniards desired. The Ten of Pentacles reminds me that a place of belonging with basic needs met can often be worth more than any city of gold.

From the Haindl Rune Oracle comes "Feo:"
It is interesting that the Anglo-Saxon rune poem declares wealth (Fe/Feo) "a comfort," but the Old Norse and Icelandic poems describe it as a "source of discord." I think having the "most toys" only makes others want what you have, and then you spend all your time defending your treasure instead of enjoying it. Feo encourages me to use and appreciate the resources available but not try to claim all of them for myself. Balance and benevolence will be my watchwords for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment