I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 2, 2013

The Tough and the Tender

From the Druidcraft Tarot, the High Priest (Hierophant):
The High Priest is the High Priestess' counterpart. While she teaches that there is a wisdom hidden within, he believes it comes through external ways - having a mentor, studying traditional teachings, practicing skills or rituals, and being initiated into the group. Both styles require discipline, whether it is learning to listen beyond the ego or making a commitment to a course of study. The way of the High Priest however, offers the support of others. There is a sense of belonging and connection to a tradition. I've had a hard time joining groups in the past due to not being able to accept fundamentalism and inflexibility. But lately I've found there are small pockets of open-minded people who aren't rigid in their beliefs. This is my "tribe," and they are probably the closest I'll get to committing to anything even remotely organized.

From the Druid Plant Oracle comes the "Poppy:"
The poppy is a strange mix of toughness and tenderness. Their bright flowers bloom even in the summer heat, but try to use them as a cut flower and they fade quickly. They make me think of the silk poppies the veterans would give out on Memorial Day in remembrance of soldiers who were killed. This flower reminds me of the discipline required to be part of a group, especially if I truly join and don't just hang out at the fringes. I will need to make some commitment (the tough part), but I will also find friends and acquaintances to share my journey (the tender part).

No comments:

Post a Comment