I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where's the Steering Wheel on this Thing?

From the Art of Life Tarot, the Chariot (detail from The Balloon by Pal Szinyei Merse):
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 

The hot air balloon is not the most practical vehicle to use, because there is no steering mechanism - it only travels at the speed and in the direction the wind blows. The only controls are the burner, which heats the air in the balloon and causes it to rise, and the vent at the top of the balloon that allows air to escape in order to descend. Like the balloon's burner, it's possible to control my inner desires and urges (for instance bypassing the frosty at Wendy's when I purchase a berry salad). Yet what I can't control (like the wind) is the actions and opinions of other people. If I don't want to use up all my "heat" and crash, I need some type of vent like the balloon. The air in this craft reminds me that it is the intellect that can act as a vent and keep me afloat and moving.

From the Tao Oracle comes the card "Opposition:"
I'm a member of a book club that discusses theological books. The group is an eclectic one with people who've each had a wide variety of life experiences. So it's no surprise that there are disagreements when we have discussions. But the interesting thing is no one is promoting a particular opinion, they're just sharing the knowledge they have. Such respectful exchanges help us to see the strengths and weaknesses of any argument. This card reminds me, like the one above, to stick to the evidence and facts if I want to continue to make progress.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I always forget how much I enjoy the Art of Life Tarot until I pull it out to use again.

      Delete