I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Backed-up Emotions

This week I'll be using the first edition of Kat Black's Touchstone Tarot published by Tarot Connections. This morning's card is the Queen of Wands:
Though she sits demurely, her red dress and flushed cheeks suggest this queen radiates passion. Her rod has green leaves sprouting from it, indicating she is a woman who believes in taking action when she is motivated by a cause or idea. Her personality is quite like her cat, who may look calm, but at any second might take a swipe with his claws, rub and purr against you, or meow pitifully. Basically, both will prod you in whatever way will get their objective accomplished. The stare the Queen of Wands levels at me seems to say: "Have you neglected what you're passionate about and let the what used to excite you grow cold? Stir the embers and get that fire burning brightly again!"

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Oracle of the Grail Code, created by Amy Sophia Marashinsky and published by Barnes and Noble. Today's draw is "Emotions:"
Notice how the Queen of Wands in the first card looks straight ahead, never daring to look out the window? I can be that way when it comes to my emotions, particularly those intense, "messy" ones. I won't talk about them or express them in any way; instead I just try to distract myself so I don't have to deal with them. But like a backed-up toilet that eventually overflows on the floor, they will affect me nevertheless. In fact, trying to keep a lid on them will drain away all my energy. No wonder what I once was so passionate about burns so dimly now. Guess I better pull on some rubber gloves and deal with the mess I've ignored for too long.

8 comments:

  1. This queen is rather restrained in compare to other queens of wands I know. It seems to me she does want to express what's inside if there was anyone who would ask.....Perhaps someone would like to help you to clean out this toilet :D
    Beautiful decks together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm on my own since I'm responsible for the "stoppage" lol. But being willing to talk and actually sharing what's inside would probably cut loose those restraints. :)

      Delete
  2. These two ladies form quite the contrast. Without your description, I might have taken the second for the Queen of Cups, which I guess in a way she is :) I notice how the window by the Queen of Wands is at least open, while the Emotions card has a barred window, which makes me think of the chicken and egg question. Might you flush those emotions by reigniting your passion, rather than vice versa? Perhaps in the way Ellen has been using art almost therapeutically… :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NP, I think you may be on to something. But I think what I need to reignite is possibly my yoga practice and work out those emotions through my body. I do actually draw each day because I keep a daily nature journal and sketch something everyday (though these are VERY simple drawings!).

      Delete
    2. Ah, working your emotions out through your body is another good one! How lovely to have a daily nature journal :) Not sure I could manage that, but it would be a good thing to try...

      Delete
    3. How lovely you have a nature journal in which you draw daily, You make me very curious

      Delete
    4. It is really very simple and unprofessional. :) Knowing I will draw something I see in the evenings makes me really pay attention to what is going on around me - whether it's a bug, leaf, bird, weed or whatever. I try not to make my journal too neat purposefully. I draw what I see, outline it with a pen, then color in with colored pencils. I write around the drawing about what the day was like outside. Some drawings I spend more time on and others I don't. I try not to get caught up in how good the drawing is, as that would defeat the reason for the walks and my journal. :)

      Delete
    5. Sounds lovely - an encouragement to be mindful of the world around you :)

      Delete